A new set of Activities Boxes is currently being distributed to all of the Kingdom Homes care homes. Each care home is getting a box filled with around 20 different activity and therapy items. The contents have been specially selected to suit individuals of all abilities including our most dependant residents. Many of the items have been sourced from specialist dementia retailers or on advice from our dementia trainer, Susan Carney.
The boxes include
- physical games like golf, toss and talk balls, basketball
- craft magazines and easy stitch craft kits
- Books, word puzzles, games, DVDs and CDs
- Reminiscence activities including smell kits, recall cards, photo packs, historical newspapers and decade specific reminiscence packs
- Fidget kits, therapies for active hands (see the lock box in the photograph), dolls and soft toys
The contents of each box is different and they will be swapped around our care homes on a regular basis so that there is always something different to take part in. The boxes have been put together to ensure that each has a PAL (Pool Activity Level as researched and developed by Jackie Pool) balance of activities and contains a PAL inventory explaining who should use them and how individuals will best benefit from their use.
PAL checklists completed with our residents ensure that everyone is offered activities tailored to their own abilities.